Thursday, June 26, 2008

big brother is watching

Margie and Heath were talking about the RFID "Real IDs" that NC has implemented on our drivers licenses, and which apparently will be on all state licenses very soon. They are so creepy. This sounds way too much like "1984" to me. This 2-D hologram chip on the back of our licenses, which I am looking at in my hand right now, is apparently big enough to hold an encyclopedia set worth of information. It holds all of the information on the front of our licenses, our SSN, picture, and tax information, and I hear they also want to put things like fingerprint data and retina scans on it too. Awesome. (Not.) Basically, now they can track our every move, and a lot of people that commented on articles I read about it expressed a greater concern that the system where the government keeps all of this information could be easily hacked into. Someone wrote that Homeland Security databases have been hacked into over 800 times in the past 2 years. Anyway, read this article about it.

Sadly, I found surprisingly little information about it online. I wish more people were aware of what the government is trying to do here. Well, at least Obama is against this "Real ID Act." I am conservative when it comes to economics, but liberal on most other issues. I'm pretty well split between McCain and Obama when it comes to the issues, but I'm pretty sure Obama's going to win anyway. Maybe he will be against making a national ID.

No comments: